Monday, May 2, 2011

Success?

Well I'm not quite sure what to make of it actually. Yesterday, I took the boy into the toilet for 'toilet time', and went through the whole rigmarole of getting him to stay seated, etc. He totally did my head in with the stand up-sit down-stand up-sit down thing. I tried for around 15 - 20 minutes, determined to catch something this time, because I knew he needed to go. By the end of it, I was so frazzled. He just wouldn't let go. I pulled up his pants and told him we were all finished and he could leave. Then I walked away before I cracked a tantrum myself.

He didn't follow me out though. He stayed in the toilet playing with the little musical mobile that hangs off the doorknob, and seating himself on the toilet. I didn't care, I left him there. Too stressed out. Hubby was walking by and noticed the boy in there, sitting on the toilet with his jocks still on and playing with the musical mobile, and asked me if I was aware that little man was sitting on the toilet with his jocks on. I was. I didn't care. If he wants to stay in there by himself, that was more than fine with me.

After some time, I noticed the music had ceased. I wondered.... has he done something? He hasn't come out, but he's stopped pulling the string. Better go check on him. Sure enough, there he was standing up in front of the toilet in a pair of wet jocks. He wasn't distressed - in fact, he was sort of smiling. His jocks were soaked through and there was some in the toilet and just a couple of drops on the seat. Nothing on the floor though!

Needless to say, I made a really big deal out of it for the little man, until in the end, he was laughing and clapping for himself too. But I have no idea if he has understood what he did.

Is it success if it was a complete accident? Does it matter if it was an accident, but still sort of caught on the toilet? Is it really 'caught' if he had his jocks on?

I really don't know what to make of it. The only thing I do know is that it confirms my theory of him not wanting to wee or poop in anyone's presence (which is something I can totally understand!), because he never does anything when anyone is paying him attention. Whatever it is, coincidence or not, I am trying to encourage him to sit there on his own now, without me 'supervising'. It's a good pattern all 'round I think. Not so inconvenient for me, because I don't have to sit there with him; good for his independence in general; and it might just enable him to actually let go on the toilet, since no one else is around.



xx
6.5 weeks into it, and I am SO over it. He sits and stands and sits and stands. Still far from properly toilet trained, but may have caught something on the toilet finally?


No comments:

Post a Comment